a/c conversion?

how can you tell if the a/c has been converted to the new standard for r134.
i bought my car used and need to recharge the system. does anyone have pics of the original a/c for the 92 integra model? and where is the a/c located? thanks.

Either way, R12 or R134a if you need a refill you have a leak and it needs to be fixed before you recharge the system.

The first thing that you need to do is a nitrogen pressure check, system is filled with nitrogen to find the size and location of leak.
Most A/C shops will do this for free, we do.
If you came to us for an estimate we would first “identify”, [connect up a tool that will tell us if the system is contaminated with anything but R12 or R134a]
If no contamination, [hydrocarbons or mix of refrigerants] is found we will connect up a set of gauges to see how much refrigerant, [if any] is in the system, if very low or empty we would charge the system with up to 250PSI of nitrogen to see if/where it leaked out.

Once done we would give you an estimate for repairs, [if needed] this will take about 10-15 min. and we do not charge for this.

Your system is probably R12 but may be R134a or retrofitted to R134a.

Easy way to tell is to look at the A/C service ports, if they are the same size, [or very close] and are treaded on the outside and like the valve of a tire your system is R12, if they are “quick release” like air tool connections, with one a lot bigger then the other then it is a R134a system, if the R134a service ports are screwed onto R12 service ports it is a retrofitted system.

R12 is no longer avalable so if the system has not been retrofitted it needs to be.

I do not recommend any of the “seal and fill” products avalable, [redtech durateck and so on] the sealers will clog up the system and repairs for that are very expensive. 94

Hey thanks!! You’ve been very helpful and specific in your response and appreciate that very much!! I just thought a/c’s get recharged all the time. Didn’t think about it having a leak.

It is possible that all you need is a recharge but unlikely especially if system has been empty, [not used] for a long time, lubricant for the system is carried by the refrigerant, no refrigerant = no lubrication and not lubrication means the “O” rings will have dried out.
If the system has not been retrofitted you will need to do so, it is not hard.

You will need to install R134a service ports, replace the filter/dryer, [accumulator] and all the “O” rings.

Inject 2oz of Ester oil and 2oz of C4 oil into the compressor and 2oz of Ester oil into the new filter.
A drop of C4 oil on the “O” rings will help seat them properly.
Then have the system properly evacuated and charged with R134a, using 90% of the R12 charge for your car.
This is best done at an A/C shop as for best results the system needs to be on a pump for 1hr, [45 min. minimum] this will insure any moisture is boiled off, it will also allow the correct amount of refrigerant, [R134a] to be charged into the system. 94

your awesome! thanks! would you happen to have pics of where the a/c unit is located under the hood? i know youve told me where to look but knowing myself, i will prolly be looking at the wrong thing…lol. not sure i want to retrofit cuz i have some r12.

a couple of months ago i had my a/c tension pulley belt replaced cuz it started make sounds indentical to “seagulls” and thought thats what was causing the a/c to not blow cold air. obviously that wasnt the case.

where the a/c unit is located

Not sure I understand what you mean. 94

the actually air conditioner under the hood of the car where the engine is. i’m assuming its location is there? or a picture of it.

The A/C compressor is mounded low on the drivers side front of engine, kind of opposite the alt.

The condensor in mounted in front of the rad.

The accumulator, [filter/dryer] is located just in front and below window washer fluid fill cap.

Sorry, can’t remember where the service ports are on a G2, just fallow the lines from the A/C compressor, I think one is on the A/C line about 12" to the left of the dip stick, the other is probably closer to the accumulator, but I’m guessing. 94

thanks fcm. i thought the a/c unit was one piece, didnt realize it was in 3 parts. thanks for the visual - very helpful!!

Actually there are 4 main parts, there is an evaporator in the heater box, kind of in front of the heater core. 94

ok thanks.