X

Dash push bottons dont light up

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash push bottons dont light up

I just noticed this while looking at pics of other members interiors in the dark. Behind the little pic of what the button is, theres a bulb that is verrryyy tiny... It kinda looks like the ones found on the top of the gauge cluster and in the climate control. The problem is that i dont know what the size is. If anybody could let me know what the bulb size they are id love you for a long time. Well fine, that was a lie. Only for a bit... till i get bored/used to the lights working

Pics:

My dash: As you can see, on the lower right of the pic theres the activation light on but the button light doesnt come on

compared to somebody off this boards buttons:

Thx in advance
    Last edited by B|ang; 19 Dec 2004, 02:31:43.

Pics no workey.

Comment

should work now

Comment

why dont you just pop out one of the buttons (takes 5 seconds) then you have a bulb that you can use to match.

Comment

Yeah I can, but I was wondering if maybe theres a relay or something that may have died or that what the pic shows is a diy job. While at canadan tire, i couldnt find anything that looked like it.

Comment

i think you can only get them from the dealer.

Comment

im sure you can get most parts for our cars from the dealer, but for some stupid price

Comment

hmmm, after dicking around with the buttons/wiring today, I realised that its not the bulbs that are dead, because when i switched the bulbs from the activation bulb spot to the "picture" bulb spot, the "picture wouldnt light up but again the activation light would work. Im stumped. I even took the buttons apart and checked the soldering on the boards but everything looked ok. If it makes any difference, its a 90 GS. Can anybody else with a 90-91 show a pic or tell if their lights work or not? PLEASE I MUST KNOW!!!

Comment

bump? could it be a relay or switch or something gone bad?

Comment

cmon ppl....is it that hard to go to your car for 2 secs and check if they come on or not?

Comment

If it's the push button lights like the fog and the rear window defroster you're talking about.. go to the junkyard like I did and take them. The guy told me to just keep em.. he said most likely people would have just pocketed them and never asked. If it ain't those lights then I totally sound off.

Comment

I have a 91 LS, and the pictures on the buttons for cruise, fogs, def, and hazards light up. Maybe a wire from the dimmer got clipped somewhere?

Comment

thats exactly what i was thinking but its not like just one died, its all of them. I tried tracing the wires down the line to find a relay or something but came up empty handed. I REALY would like to find out what the hell the prob is. I put a wtb ad on a local import site and hopefully i can find some to test with let alone buy

Comment

Is there somebody on here that can correctly tell me if there is a relay that may have gone bad that would cause this to happen. Please. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by B|ang
                              Is there somebody on here that can correctly tell me if there is a relay that may have gone bad that would cause this to happen. Please. Thank you
                              have you verified if you have an electric flow between the 2 contacts where your bulb goes using a multimeter? if you do, then maybe your 2 plates dont touch the connectors of the light bulb (the 2 little wires on the plastic holder). verify that and let us know

Comment

Nope. Theres nothing coming through there. And yes i turned the accesories on and turned on the switch i was measuring. The only thing it could be is a relay or some kind of electrical something down the line that is causing this.

Comment

oh well, thats the best i could do, sorry i cannot help more than that

Comment

Hey.. the second picture of that cluster is from my car! *cool hehe*

But yeah, my car is a 90-91 and it should light up like mine. Does your "CRUISE" word button light up as well? That's supposed to light up too. Maybe there is some kind of relay but it wouldn't make any sense to have one.

I have a feeling is has something to do with your "dimmer" control as that is the one that controls the currents and what not...

Comment

This makes absolutely no sense to me, becuase I always keep my dimmer switch at 100% and none of my lights on either side of the wheel other than the little activation lights telling me that infact the accesorys are on light up. Arg...im goin nuts

Comment

This makes absolutely no sense to me, becuase I always keep my dimmer switch at 100% and none of my lights on either side of the wheel other than the little activation lights telling me that infact the accesorys are on light up. Arg...im goin nuts
                                        Dude, I totally know how you feel. For me everything has to be in working order down to the bulb!

Hope you find out what the problem is and keep us updated!

Comment

i just find it hard to believe that there are sooooo many ppl on this board and theres not one that will take 2 secs to type out if theres a relay or not cuz i know theres some pretty damn smart ppl on here.

Comment

i just find it hard to believe that there are sooooo many ppl on this board and theres not one that will take 2 secs to type out if theres a relay or not cuz i know theres some pretty damn smart ppl on here.
                                            To be quite honest with you, i've taken my dash out nearly hundreds of times. I highly doubt that there's a relay. Again, it just wouldn't make any sense to have one for those lights....

Comment

im having this same problem in my 1992 RS. i dont think its a relay tho. how do u replace the bulbs in the climate control? mine go off and i hafta hit them to get them back on.

Comment

I will try to help you out my friend. If you are completely certain that either the 1.2V or 1.4V bulbs are showing continuity and working, the next thing to look at would be the #11 fuse (15A under the driver's kick panel). This fuse controls the dimming circuit and as such, would put out the lights you describe on many dash switches including cruise control. Check this first and let us know please.

If it isn't a fuse and it isn't a bulb, I would consider a bad or failing ground connection behind the dash. The ground from the dimming circuit connects directly to the chasis behind the dash (you can trace it from the switch if you run backwards from the black wire). If that connection from the dimming circuit to the chasis ground is severed, you might have the problems you're describing. If the actual chasis ground connection itself is compromised, you would see some interesting problems:

fuel gauge, and turn signal outages
                                                as well as most of your dash lights
                                                (although... at a second glance, all these acc. are regrounded for safety through the fuel sending resistor unit). Now if your fuel sending unit was cooked, you could have the above circuits out.

Other possibilities??? hrmmm... For the record, there is no relay to check so don't keep looking for one. Perhaps you could check the actual dimmer switch itself as well as the hot wire feeding it? Does the dimmer switch have any affect on any interior lights?? What about the dome light?? Does it dim this circuit??? What about the gauge cluster illumination?? If these can be regulated by the dimmer, your switch is fine.

If the dimmer switch is fine, the grounds in both locations (behind the dash and on the neutral side of the fuel sending unit) are fine, and your bulbs in all the switches giving you problems are fine, there must be an electrical gremlin at play here. We all know these little characters.... They come out to play when folks wire foglights, stereos and gauge clusters bassackwards. We've all seen the show cars pounding over 140dB on the highway with no rear lights?? Anyway, I don't want to make assumptions but the circuit you are troubleshooting is very basic... there are no diodes at play so the direction of flow or it's regulation isn't a concern here.

If you can systematically highlight exactly what's working and what circuits are dead with the IGN on or ACC on, perhaps I could be more usefull to you. Do you have a functioning test light or dmm at your disposal??

If you want a quick test, pull the 3 wire molex plug out of the back of the dimmer switch in the dash... You should have three wires leading into the puck. Jump a wire from the red to a good know working ground, you should have all your dash lights on at full 12V (full intensity). If you jump the other wire (RED/BLK), you should have your headlights light on. If you don't get a successful test on the RED/BLK wire, you must replace the #11 15A fuse. The black wire should always show full continuity to ground. If these test all pan out, the connections from your switch and dimming circuit are functioning. The switch itself may be bad.

If you would like a schematic of the circuit, email me and I'll send it out to you. Please let me know if you got anywhere with any of this possible assistance.

Thanks and good luck,

Andrew.
                                                aka neex.

Comment

bump? could it be a relay or switch or something gone bad?
                                                  all things point to the #11 15A driver's side kickpanel fuse...

any bites on that one??

Andrew.
                                                  aka neex.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X