Dash push bottons dont light up

I just noticed this while looking at pics of other members interiors in the dark. Behind the little pic of what the button is, theres a bulb that is verrryyy tiny… It kinda looks like the ones found on the top of the gauge cluster and in the climate control. The problem is that i dont know what the size is. If anybody could let me know what the bulb size they are id love you for a long time. Well fine, that was a lie. Only for a bit… till i get bored/used to the lights working

Pics:

My dash: As you can see, on the lower right of the pic theres the activation light on but the button light doesnt come on

compared to somebody off this boards buttons:

Thx in advance

Pics no workey.

should work now

why dont you just pop out one of the buttons (takes 5 seconds) then you have a bulb that you can use to match.

Yeah I can, but I was wondering if maybe theres a relay or something that may have died or that what the pic shows is a diy job. While at canadan tire, i couldnt find anything that looked like it.

i think you can only get them from the dealer.

im sure you can get most parts for our cars from the dealer, but for some stupid price

hmmm, after dicking around with the buttons/wiring today, I realised that its not the bulbs that are dead, because when i switched the bulbs from the activation bulb spot to the “picture” bulb spot, the "picture wouldnt light up but again the activation light would work. Im stumped. I even took the buttons apart and checked the soldering on the boards but everything looked ok. If it makes any difference, its a 90 GS. Can anybody else with a 90-91 show a pic or tell if their lights work or not? PLEASE I MUST KNOW!!!

bump? could it be a relay or switch or something gone bad?

cmon ppl…is it that hard to go to your car for 2 secs and check if they come on or not?

If it’s the push button lights like the fog and the rear window defroster you’re talking about… go to the junkyard like I did and take them. The guy told me to just keep em… he said most likely people would have just pocketed them and never asked. If it ain’t those lights then I totally sound off.

I have a 91 LS, and the pictures on the buttons for cruise, fogs, def, and hazards light up. Maybe a wire from the dimmer got clipped somewhere?

thats exactly what i was thinking but its not like just one died, its all of them. I tried tracing the wires down the line to find a relay or something but came up empty handed. I REALY would like to find out what the hell the prob is. I put a wtb ad on a local import site and hopefully i can find some to test with let alone buy

Is there somebody on here that can correctly tell me if there is a relay that may have gone bad that would cause this to happen. Please. Thank you

have you verified if you have an electric flow between the 2 contacts where your bulb goes using a multimeter? if you do, then maybe your 2 plates dont touch the connectors of the light bulb (the 2 little wires on the plastic holder). verify that and let us know

Nope. Theres nothing coming through there. And yes i turned the accesories on and turned on the switch i was measuring. The only thing it could be is a relay or some kind of electrical something down the line that is causing this.

oh well, thats the best i could do, sorry i cannot help more than that

Hey… the second picture of that cluster is from my car! :slight_smile: cool hehe

But yeah, my car is a 90-91 and it should light up like mine. Does your “CRUISE” word button light up as well? That’s supposed to light up too. Maybe there is some kind of relay but it wouldn’t make any sense to have one.

I have a feeling is has something to do with your “dimmer” control as that is the one that controls the currents and what not…

This makes absolutely no sense to me, becuase I always keep my dimmer switch at 100% and none of my lights on either side of the wheel other than the little activation lights telling me that infact the accesorys are on light up. Arg…im goin nuts

Dude, I totally know how you feel. For me everything has to be in working order down to the bulb!

Hope you find out what the problem is and keep us updated!