itr gauge cluster swap

finally, after a couple days of frustration, it’s almost done. now all i have to do is wire the electronic VSS

pics no work

nice. are you gonna mold some fiberglass or something in there to fill the gaps? Looks like a bulb is out too.

yeah, as soon as i wire up the electronic VSS, i will be shaping the bezel with fiber glass to the itr cluster for a nice, perfect fit.

if you don’t mind me asking…

what motor do you have? the reason that i ask, is that I want to do a cluster swap like this, but i have a b16a. and since vtec won’t engage until you’re at a certain speed (between 20-25 mph i believe?) i wondered if this would be a problem.

i know all about changing and wiring the vss in place of the old cable unit. however what i don’t know, is how does the ecu get it’s speed signal? because i know for a FACT if the speedo on the cluster doesn’t work, no vtec. (happened during my swap). soooo…lemme know :slight_smile: thanks.

Vtec doesnt engage at a certain speed, rather a specific rpm, stock its usally between 5200-5400 rpms

i have a 97 spec itr motor. the ecu will get it’s signal from the VSS signal wire. you have to split it into a “y” and run half to the cluster and the other to the ecu.

he’s right. but no speed signal = no vtec

you’re idling at 1500 or is that just the lack of VSS being installed?

Only asking cuz I have a 1500 warm idle as well w/ my b20…

Looks great…have any full dash pix?

aye mofo… i got a cf itr cluster. That has like 44k miles ya interested?

I’m not talking to you…

I don’t talk to 4dr ITR owners :cross:

I don’t have a 4dr ITR anymore. I have a 2dr GSR though still a gen 3.

even worse… now I’m DEFINITELY not talking to you…

I’m selling the g3 gsr and getting a g2 4dr.

boo

rhd what?

He had a 4 Dr. RHD ITR

thanks for letting me know…

and btw, if you read my post i didn’t say vtec engages based on speed. i mentioned that it won’t engage until you reach a certain speed (i.e. vtec won’t engage when you rev, etc.).

anywho, thanks for the info. didn’t wanna buy these spendy gauges and not be able to enjoy them. thanks again! and keep us up to date w/ pics when you finish your fabrication.

VTEC doesn’t enggage only if you are above so adn so speed. it jsut so happens taht you’re at that particular speed in 1st gear where VTEC is set to engage. and VTEC does engage at neutral revving. Just listen for it. It’s there.