need help picking an amp...help this newbie

After reading some of the posts here ive noticed that im one of the blind following the blind…always thought JL was the pinacle of subs. Shoot me. After reading about 12 threads ive realized that now is a time for re-edjumication. I recently lost my PoS amp, and have found myself in the market. I miss my bass, but my pocket is a lil dry…sitting on about 200-250 to spend on a decent amp to drive my 2 12" polk GXR’s. If you guys have any ideas, and or sites with some good priced amps id greatly appreciate it…thanks in advance-Jon

JL IS the pinnacle of subs… whoever say otherwise is :gay:. Even the w0(the lowest line of JL subs) is a VERY nice speaker… amps are great as well! Anyway, I’ve found success with a Rockford Fosgate P-3001 mono amp. Don’t have the spec sheet, but mine peaks somewhere around 1150+ max watts, 375-450+ rms. Beats great, I think I paid around $275 for mine. You can find them at Best Buy! Good luck!

Cant go wrong with Alpine.

JL is 1$ per watt but you def get what they tell you it puts out.Stay away from Pioneer,Sony,all of the 1000w for 250$ amps…I had a Rockford Power 1500.1. Paid 900 for it used but it was def worth it…I wish i hadnt sold it…Its hard to find a good amp for cheap.Get a Rockford 250x2…That should be enough to pump your 12’s without blowing your budget.

thanks for your guys help…rockford fosgate sounds like a good chance at finding something that meets my needs…thanks again guys…my dad has some decent connections and gets 30% off all alpine and a lifetime warranty cause his shop is an autherized dealer of Alpine…but im sure he has some hookups for some other brands also so ill give him a call.

i have 2 12" power acoustik 500w subs runnin off a power acoustik 720 max (set to 2 channel mode but im not exactly sure how many watts go into each channel)) and its enough for me…

Wow, thats a bold statement… looks like I’m gay. JL does make some VERY nice products, but “the pinnacle of subs”?? Definitely not. They make some of the very best, but they are not better than everything else out there…to say that is just ignorant.

:werd:

No doubt they are nice subs, but to just ignore some other brands (Arc, Adire, and Image Dynamics come to mind) is rather close-minded.

I will say that JL has some very good engineers working for them. The W7 has some very ingenious designs used within, and is definitely one of the top subs on the market. I respect them a great deal more than a lot of other companies out there.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Most definitely the best bang for the buck would be MTX amps. They are among the few that actually output the power they list. As for JL, JL is a pile of crap compared to many other brands out there for the money. Then again JL just isn’t the type of sound I’m into.

I’m pretty set on Alpine myself… I have had over 6 different amps and Alpine was by FAR the best I’ve ever experimented with. They’re not cheap though.

as for amps, JL, Alpine, Fosgate amd MTX are all worth what you pay. Especially the fosgate and mtx. I have had 3 fosgate amps and am VERY satisfied with all of them, and they have ALL put out at least 30% more power than they are rated out, which is definetly a bonus.

If your dad gets 30% of Alpine though w/warranty i woudl go threw him. Alpine does make nice amps, that have proven reliable to.

i was lookin at either a Rockford Fosgate Punch 900W Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier with Selectable Bass Boost or a AUDIOBAHN A2502DP 2-CH TRUE DIGITAL FULL-RANGE COMPETITION AMPLIFIER, any thoughts on these 2