amp keeps blowing fuses

I have a kenwood amp.last week I noticed my bass was gone.come to find out the fuses were blown.replaced fuses and turned on car and blew them again…so i tried a lil troubleshooting…the amp doesnt blow the fuses till the remote wire is hooked up. now you might think theres a short some where,But i went out and got a cheap PYLE amp and hooked it up and it works fine.so It has to be internal…any ideas.the amp was $400.00 so I would hate to junk it.how much is repair on that kinda stuff? thanx in advance

Is it under warranty? I would contact the place you bought it from, or if that doesn’t help contact the manufacturer.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Open up the amp. Two of my capictors exploded. :tsk:

Uh oh, someone let the smoke out of their amp. You can’t do that. All electronics run on smoke, and if you let it out they don’t work anymore. :slight_smile:

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Haha, yes… smoke that has to be it. Try putting the amp over a campfire and running to your car, hook it up, and see if it blows a fuse!

If it doesn’t you know it’s the smoke.

its about 2 years old.what r u guy talking about smoke? I need help

Funny guy.

Open the amp. Look at your capictors. If the tops have exploded, trash the amp.

If the fuse blows as soon as you turn it on, the output stage of the amp is gone, and more then likely so is the sub, [probably the sub went, and that fryed the amp] try disconnecting the sub/subs from the amp, and then try the amp :hmm:94

there 2 big caps in the amp…the top of them have a paper on it and there warped looking.if i post some pics will someone help me?

Do it.

Well I have a Kenwood amp and it blew the fuses upon turning on power to it. Bought an amp and subs work fine, so I guess my old amp is fux0red or would it be able to get fixed?

Yes it can be fixed, how much will depend on what is wrong with it, what is it worth to you, take it to a repair shop, ask them how much, or, give them a go ahead price, [ like if it can be fixed for $75 incl. parts go ahead] :cross: 94

Or if you’re feeling really feisty, you might want to try to repair the amplifier yourself. If you can figure out what the values are of the capacitors in question, then you can order replacement caps and just solder them into place yourself.

You can check at http://www.partsexpress.com for just about any electronic part you could ever want.

Good luck…

BTW Stephen, funny stuff about the smoke… I didn’t see that part of your shop during my visit :slight_smile:

Well then you need to stop on by again. Especially since I finally dialed in the right pre-sets on my processor, so the system in my car will sound better. Not to mention I have a sub installed now too.

BTW, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I told you we had a lot of cool stuff to see. Also, you must feel lucky as my boss doesn’t usually give people that kind of lecture. You got probably one of the best in-depth audio schooling by one of the best teachers IMO. I think what helped was your impressive knowledge of audio. I wasn’t expecting you to know as much as you did. You blew me away when I was explaining the Parthenon and you understood what I was talking about. You will have to come back by again with more time so we can let you hear our XBL^2 demo as well (the enclosure behind the tv that you asked about).

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Man I’m definitely into another visit; your place was awesome. I was really impressed with your operation there, and by the level of knowledge that you all had. It’s not very often I feel like I can learn something new about audio from people I talk to, but you guys could all school me any time; ya’ll make me look like a novice :slight_smile:

Anyway, I would love to come and hear more stuff… it’s not very often that I get weekdays off, but when I get a chance, I’ll be coming by…

Thanks again for the awesome tour :up: