radio reception from amp

here is what i am running a alpine head unit and a sherwood four channel amp running fronts and subwoofers. the thing is that my left front speaker is having some kind of radio reception. the volume doent not effect the loudness of the rececption or nither does disconnecting the rca’s. i am guessing it might be the ground or my speaker wires might be to close to the antana cable wherever that might be. anyone got any input?

Please give us more information. Is it a whine?

like when you rpms go up the signal gets louder?

If so you have a ground loop, the common causes are the following:
Bad grounds,
Unnecssary long lengths of Rcas, and unqualitly RCAs
Amps that do not have much noise distorition.
qualitly of deck.

Yea more info, MMY of car, and what do you mean “radio reception”
can you hear a radio station? or is it noise, [ a whine, or sirenie kind of sound that changes pitch when rev the motor a little, or is it more like a fast ticking werring kind of sound that speeds up when you rev the motor] and is it only on the one speaker? :stare: 94

Well you said it still happens when you disconnected the RCA, so that eliminates the head unit and the RCA. It has to be caused by either the amplifier or speaker wire. Try disconnecting the speaker wire from the amp and see if the noise is still there. If it isn’t then it has to be your amp causing it. I suggest checking your ground. Make sure it is of sufficient size wire and that your connection is to bare metal with no paint, primer, or rust/oxidation.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

yes i am getting radio reception, it is picking up 90.7 on FM. i have never encounterd this before. i have the amp in the hatch and the power wire is 4 guage and the ground is 6guage. the volume on the head unit does not effect the volume of the wierd reception. the rca’s i am using are quite long really and so are the speaker wires. i havent had time or the tools to really get on it. hope fully this weekend i can figure this out.

What kind of car, MMY, and is it only out of one speaker? :hmm: 94

its a 90 integra bro, thats why i am here.

OK, is it only comeing out of one speaker, if so, switch the speaker wires at the amp, left to right, right to left, does it stay on the same speaker, if so its the speaker or speaker wire or how and where the speaker wire is run, if it changes to the other speaker, its the amp, RCAs or HU, so if it changed to the other speaker, then switch the RCAs on the amp left to right, right to left, if it stays on the same speaker, you have a problem with the amp, if it changes to the other speaker, its the RCAs or the HU, pull the Hu and switch the RCAs at the HU, if it stays on the same speaker, its the RCAs or how they are run, if it switchs to the other speaker, you have a problem with the HU. or yoy can start at the HU and do the same thing.

I bet its the amp. :roll:94