X

So I found this Monster Cable.... *noob*

Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I found this Monster Cable.... *noob*

So I found a box of various car audio stuff from a few years back that I got from a buddy of mine when he moved. A head unit, couple amps, crossover, and a bunch of cables. Nothing impressive, but hey, it's free, so I figured I'd hook up an amp to give my rear speakers a little more thump. I'm none too knowledgeable about car audio stuff, other than the installation/wiring of it. Here's my question:

I have a length of Monster Cable, a molded two-plug RCA-type connection cable with a third, smaller wire as well. It's very small gauge.. probably 18 or 20. What is this intended for? Power? Remote? I can provide pics if necessary, but figured maybe it was a standard Monster Cable "feature".... Any ideas?

ground?

Comment

Originally posted by ElBorintegra
      ground?

eh who am i kiddin. it's a ground wire.

although i'd recommend selling the shit you don't want to keep on ebay and buying something other than monster cables. monster cables really suck ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Armed Ferret

eh who am i kiddin. it's a ground wire.

although i'd recommend selling the shit you don't want to keep on ebay and buying something other than monster cables. monster cables really suck ass.
        Its a remote turn on wire for your amps. Why would your RCA's need a ground???

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hunter
          Its a remote turn on wire for your amps. Why would your RCA's need a ground???

you obviously have never used a technics 1200 turntable, have you son?

monster *CLAIMS* having a ground eliminates noise. on a 110v AC setup, it does help a lot. on a 12v DC, not so much. again, i say, monster cables suck.

Comment

Yeh, I would have never imagined it was a ground, for them being speaker cables.

And this shit wouldn't sell. I'd be lucky to give it away. But free is cheap and I'm not very concerned with having high quality gear. If it just plain works and there's no cost.. eh, good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Armed Ferret
              you obviously have never used a technics 1200 turntable, have you son?

monster *CLAIMS* having a ground eliminates noise. on a 110v AC setup, it does help a lot. on a 12v DC, not so much. again, i say, monster cables suck.
              I have never really seen any Monster RCA's before but I have seen quite a few car audio companies that make RCA's with built in remote turn on leads so I just figured thats what it is.

Comment

I had monster cable RCAs in my old car, they claimed that little wire was a remote turn on wire.

Comment

its a ground people. I used to install systems and yes its a ground. Some people I know have ghetto systems in their cars, and they do use it for remote, but its intended to ground the RCA's to provide a clean crisp sound. Just like Mark said, on a Turntable setup it does help a lot. It helps a shitload on my dad's surround sound setup, but on a car, it doesnt do much. If you know how to run wires, and know how to pick quality shielded wires, you dont need to use it.

Comment

.....I'm more confused now. What exactly am I going to be using it to ground? The amp? The head unit? Seems both of these should have their own grounds already... what exactly am I supposed to do with this Monster ground?

Comment

Originally posted by highfructose
                      .....I'm more confused now. What exactly am I going to be using it to ground? The amp? The head unit? Seems both of these should have their own grounds already... what exactly am I supposed to do with this Monster ground?

they ground the cables themselves. People who have put together highend systems, or turntables understand it better. Just leave it or use it as a remote wire. Your choice, but it is to ment to get rid of the static going through the RCA cables, making your system sound better/clearer. Like Mark said, you probably wont notice a difference at all tho. You notice it with systems with thousands of watts going through them.

Comment

It can be used as a "dump" ground, from the HU chassis to the amp, preamp, EQ, or any sig.pro. chassis if needed for groundloop problems, [ can get rid of unwanted noise] mostly used for amp trigger. and you are right it is not for grounding the RCAs, the preamp pos.(+) sig. runs down the center, [pin] of the RCA and the sig.neg.(-), [it is common for left and right] runs down the "outside" shield, (outside clamp) of the rca, and in most cases is common with the chassis of HUs and sig. pro. but may not be common with the amp chassis, some RCAs are "directional" and have to be run downstream and will have a wire at one end to ground the shield only on the downstream side, [ not at the HU] these RCAs have more then one shield.
                        When I install amps, [ have been installing car audio for 30+ years] I always run two "trigger" leads, if the RCAs have one,I will still run one more just in case there is noise, if I don't need it, no biggie, better then haveing to pull things apart again if its needed. :p 94

Comment

Okay guys, I've seen a lot of opinions thrown around on this one, but I've seen some errors in information too.

I've spent a great deal of time researching this subject (whether or not good cables affect sound) and I've also been professionally trained in cable design and technology, so I can speak to fact.

First of all, if the third wire to which you refer is literally a seperate conductor that has it's own insulation, then it is a remote turn-on wire. An example of this type of cable can be found HERE. This is put in as a matter of convenience. The design of these cables is not at a level where Monster felt it necessary to incorporate a 'drain wire', or ground, which I'll refer to next.

On some of the higher-end Monster Cables, you might find a small bit of wire extruding from underneath the cable boot (the part where the cable splits into two). This wire is there as a ground wire (drain wire). The design of this cable actively incorporates a ground in the cable geometry, and this drain wire can be effective in lowering the noise floor of the system. An example of this type of cable can be found HERE.

As for the opinion that Monster Cable sucks, I could not disagree more. Now let me couch this statement by saying that a lot of audio systems (specifically those in a car environment) don't always have the level of performance to take advantage of the benefits of a higher-end interconnect. I, however, have performed extensive listening sessions during which I have compared a wide range of cable products of varying design and cost. I have found the benefits of Monster Cable interconnects as well as many others to be quite noticeable, and even necessary in some applications. The benefits to imaging, soundstage presentation, dynamic impact, and clarity are not only noticeable, but they made me realize that I wasn't getting the full benefit of my components without using quality interconnects.

I will admit that Monster Cable is inferior to some products (I use a mixture of several brands in my systems, including Monster Cable, AudioQuest, Kimber Kable, and Transparent. I have found though that Monster Cable makes an outstanding product for the price, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the opinion that their products suck. This is proven in the fact that I currently have over $2,000 in Monster Cable product in my current systems, and that's not including the other brands of cables throughout the system. I'm not saying this to brag, but rather to 'put my money where my mouth is' and show that I have paid for these products because I recognize and appreciate their benefits.

Comment

Mine is the first type; has its own insulation and i could peel it, and its housing, completely off the other molded wires if I wanted too. This is why I was confused as to what exactly its function would be as a ground So it looks like, in this case, teh winnar is remote cable.

Comment

So it looks like, in this case, teh winnar is remote cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X