Readme

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installed a new starter, now i get shocks when i touch my car!

Collapse
X

installed a new starter, now i get shocks when i touch my car!

Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    installed a new starter, now i get shocks when i touch my car!

    I got a starter for the car, 92 integra, and ever since then, i blew a head light (the same day) and i get shocks now when i touch the car, can it be the grounds? i already replaced 1 ground because it wasn't even connected, i guess now i have to change all of them, how long is the cable going from the battery to the transmission?

    Where are the other grounds?

    #2
    if the car is giving you shocks it's doing things kinda like when you rub your feet on the floor and shock your friends for the heck of it (maybe the car just likes carpets lol) well anywase, that ussually implies that there is a charge building up on the car's frame. the only way I can figure the system would build up a charge like that was if something made a static charge just like the carpet stuff over time increasing the voltage over the entire car. Take note that just because the "car's frame is ground", all that means is that if somehting else is at 12 volts, it means it's at a voltage of the frame + 12 volts. You could be at a much lower voltage, causing you to get shocked when you touch it (because your lower than ground). grounds might be a problem? but only if the frame isn't connected to either the battery or any other grounds, a floating system that ends up hitting something. Also, on another note a car's battery typically won't shock you cuz you have a lot of resistance, so you would typically need something with a higher voltage. (you might feel a tingle, no pain, shock is a short duration of pain). Check out near any parts that would have an inductor, that can increase the voltage. I am amazed but I can't remmember the part but it's the one part that connects to the distributor and isn't a spark plug. That is a giant inductor. I'm guessing something you did somehow connected that to the car (with some significant resistance, but heck, it will go through air with it's kind of charge, thats what it does to make the spark) and now, while you drive it, it charges your frame and you (since your in it), you discharge yourself slowly when you walk away, and when you come back it's still charged because no one else (and nothing else significantly conductive) has touched it since and you get shocked... my best sudgestion if you can't see anything touching is run it in PITCH BLACK darkness, and watch for sparks near that inductor... sorry that took so long but I figured it's better to have an understanding of what I'm saying considering you probably weren't even near the parts I'm telling you to check out. I figure it's worth a 10 minute look around for shorted wires and a 2 minute run in pitch black lookin for the sparks.

    Comment


      #3
      it just occurred to me, one way to test to see if your car really is charging itself is to connect a good sized ground to your battery's ground and to the car's frame. You could use something as simple as a lamp electrical chord for this, just find a junked electrical appliance and use it. Just MAKE SURE it's the frame and the negative battery connector your connecting it to (and those ONLY). if you connect it and short it with a good sized wire the battery is likely to explode and acidic objects exploding into your face are never a good thing. (if I were you, I'd just cover the positive lead with something really un-conductive). If the shocks stop when you do this, then yea, your car is charging up and a ground is bad somewhere. This also implies that somewhere your car is wasting power into your frame by discharging into it. (thats that whole inductor thing I Was talking about in the previous post).

      Sorry the posts were so long, I just wanted to explain my crazy ideas (cuz they do seem rather crazy if you don't understand electricity) and wanted to make sure you didn't blow up your battery in the process.

      Comment


        #4
        just think of it as a theft deterent!!! haha!

        Comment


          #5
          maybe its your climate?

          Comment

          Working...
          X