if you have a amp, where is it grounded??

I will be installing a 500W amp into my G2 this weekend and was wondering where is the best point in the hatch to ground it out at?? I have heard of people getting ground loop noise in there integra’s so if your running a similiar size amp or bigger and dont have any noise let me know where you grounded it at.

i used the big seatbelt bolt under the rear seat.

I always make my own grounds. First I sand off all the paint down to bare metal. Then I take a star washer and self tapping screw to secure the ground ring. This ensures a good, solid ground. If you do plan on using a factory bolt, be sure to sand down to bare metal around it. A lot of times the bolts/tapped holes will be painted or corroded and won’t provide a very good ground.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

I’m using the ground that’s just under the hatch lock. The ground is under the plastic trim… it works for me.

Seat and seatbelt bolts that go into floorpan are the best, make sure surface is clean of paint, [bare metal] and keep the amp ground as short as possible, don’t forget to upgrade the grounds in the engine bay, and the alt.to batt power. :wink: 94

I doubt I’ll upgrade any wires to my alt., I can barely even see the damn thing let alone get to it.

Depending on size, [watts] of amp, you may need to upgrade that wire, when car is running the amp gets its power off the alt. if the amp needs more power than the alt. to batt. power wire can handle, not only can you damage the stock wire, but the amp will not get the power it needs so it will not sound as good as it can. :hmm: 94

theres various methodes ive seen people run a power and ground off the battery and swear buy it and iv seen other people say that you should try to get you ground from as far from the battery as you can i guess its really what you belive in doing.

and as far as power if the alt is charging properly and the amp doesn’t drain a lot. a 500watt shouldn’t you should be fine with the stock alt wire.
but if amps don’t get enought power it can cause them to crackle or shut down.

ack!!! don’t run a power and ground off your battery!!! think of it this way - you get broad sided and the two wire cet cut and SHORT together. say goodbye to your battery there buddy, as well as a lot of other stuff if your bat. shorts and blows up!
seen it before and don’t want to see it again. best ground is one that is clean of paint, with a solid connection via screw/bolt into the main floor of the vehicle (NOT wheel wells, rear shelf etc) and within 4 feet of the amp.
This is what i do for a living, so i’ve seen what not to do too often.

Here’s a picture example of what to do:

If you notice, the paint is sanded away to provide a good solid connection. Usually with grounds though I will use a self tapping screw and star washer. This one I decided to use a factory bolt, which I cleaned the threads on the bolt with a wire wheel just to offer the best connection possible.

Oh, and I used to do this for a living as well. :wink:

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Ditto that, never ground the amp to the batt. directly ground amp to floor pan as close to amp as you can. as for the power wire " charge wire" from the alt. if you have a 500watt amp and you are running an 8ga power wire to it from the batt. how do you expect the alt. to “keep up” when it has, [at best] a 12ga wire to the batt.

And if you think it makes no diff. try this, one day when you have been pushing the tunes hard for a wile, pop the hood and grab the alt. charge wire, carfull it can be hot, very hot. :danger: :danger: at the very least its not good for the tunes :roll: 94

I fully understand what it will do but I dont see any reason to do it right now with a stock electrical system and a car with about 180K on it. See when I had my old G1 I went ahead and re-did all the factory ground wires and stuff with 2 guage and what ended up happening is my alternator gave out in about a week after that. What the smaller stock wires were doing was kinda ‘bottlenecking’ the power so my amp wasn’t seeing its full power. But then when the wires were upgraded my amp tried taking everything it could from my alt. and it was toast in about a week. I’m on a tight budget right now and will do all this crap when I have a high output alternator that can keep up with my amps.