Stereo cuts off when car is off

When my car is not running and I put the stereo up a bit, it starts cutting off…really annoying. Sometimes I want to have the radio on when the car is off, but cant do so with out the thing cutting off. At first I thought maybe the amp was the problem, but now I removed the amp and all wiring and still this occurs. At low low volume the stereo works.
thanks guys

Power wire is looses somewhere.

I would suggest you re-run the constant power, switched power, and ground connections.

The reason I say this is that you probably have a poor connection at one or more spots. I offer this hypothesis based on a few things you’ve said.

First of all, this only happens when the car is off. This tells me that when your head unit is receiving 14.4v, which is what is generated when the car is running, then you’re okay, but when you drop to 12v, that’s when you start having problems.

Secondly, it only happens when the stereo is turned up, which suggests again that at very low volume, when the draw is low, you’re able to acquire enough voltage, but when the demand for power is higher (at higher volume) then you have problems.

Of course, these are complete guesses, but they are educated guesses. I would strongly suggest you re-install the three wires I mentioned above, and see if that helps.

I suppose it is also possible that you have a battery problem, so if re-doing the head-unit wiring doesn’t solve your problem, then have your battery checked.

You may also want to check and make sure there are no shorts in the speaker wiring (such as speaker wire to ground). This could be the problem, although I find it unlikely because a problem of this nature would be an issue whether the car was running or not.

Good luck, HTH

usually that would be s loose ground somewhere, I had the same problem and I ran a new ground from behind cd player and now it works fine hth nick

Thanks Guys, I will do what you guys suggested, Jsilas I live in a place called Kirkland, Quebec…

the battery never gave me any problems before but I will check it . Now I gotta figure where the ground wire is…

Hey man, :up: for Kirkland peeps :slight_smile:

Anyway, get the battery checked at a local auto parts store (they usually do this for free).

The ground wire (external) goes from the (-) post on the battery down to the chassis underneath the battery tray, and then on to the clutch cable bracket on the transmission. There’s also a ground wire from the chassis to the head of your engine.

As far as grounds for the head unit (internal ground), this should be the black wire that comes off the back of the deck. If you have a factory harness adapter, then you may just want to run a second ground from the ground wire of the deck (black) to the chassis of the car. Just make sure all contact points are good and clean.

Let us know how it goes