New deck wont come on unless headlights are on.

Okay Im a newbie here so I need help, and I tried and tried searching but didnt find anyone with this problem posted. I just installed a new deck in my teg(92 LS). But it wont come on unless I turn the headlights on. I have never heard of that before and I have installed plenty of car stereos before. I used a harness from best buy and one from circuit city but same problem. Can any of the Car audio experts here help? Thanks.

I had a similar problem with my deck. Except the deck would shut off if the trunk opened… Your best bet is to double check your wiring, and make sure everything is grounded correctly. For me it ended up the that ground was messed up, so i soldered it up correctly and all was well. So check your connections.

great thanks I will do that…If it isnt that, anyone else have an idea of what it could be?

Sounds like a grounding issue.

you sure you didnt get your constant power and switched 12 volt source wires mixed up??

I misread it forget my last post. Yes that would cause that to happen putting it on the dimmer circuit. Duh.

It sounds like you have acc. fot the HU wired to illumination, does the HU keep its memory,[clock and radio presets? :roll: 94

Thanks for all your help guys. It was a bad ground…re checked and grounded everything to the same point securely and now everything works perfect. I finally have 2unes. Now to go and upgrade to some hard hitting fosgate 6.5s. Thanks again for all your help fellas. :burnout:

:tsk: